Friday, December 11, 2009

In memory of "Mama"- Rufina Hernandez










This shrine to is to Rufina Hernadez. It is constructed in a small closed storefront at 5421 Georgia Avenue NW, Washington DC.

About 9:00 PM on Saturday November 7, 2009. Rufina Hernadez. 51, of Hyattsville, MD, died of multiple gunshot wounds to her face and neck. She was the owner of La Casa Morita, a mom & pop liquor store.

Well loved for her gentleness, her nickname to all was "Mama." He loss was a deep shock to this busy and vibrant neighborhood.

According to witnesses, two men appear to have been involved in the robbery. They fled on foot after killing Mrs. Hernandez, taking a small amount of cash. Andre Lopez, 45, of no fixed address, was arrested for the murder on November 19th.

"The tears of God will show you the way" - Los Lobos

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanna extend a special thank you to MPD for catching the scumbags who did this. We will forever miss you Mama Rufina. Even though you've been gone over two years now. We still miss you.

Anonymous said...

I use to buy cigarettes from this lady and she was very sweet, always asked me why I smoked and that it was so bad and I was so young. I was only eighteen at the time, I believe her son and daughter worked with her, I'm late but I had to pay my respect for someone who cared about my health and well being. R.I.P and god bless your soul.